Sunday, November 13, 2011

Karate Tournaments and Shriners!

Hey everyone! I'm sorry I've been MIA for the last few days, but things got VERY busy around here. I've been helping my daughter prepare for a karate tournament that is next Saturday... She'll be doing Weapons and Forms, and we want to make sure she knows her forms and has her stances right. They're very particular about how you stand, and will count off a lot of points for bad stances. But, like anything else, you build from the foundation up. If the foundation is bad, the whole thing will crumble! Stances are important!

Also, my husband became a Shriner this weekend! In case you don't know anything about the Shriner's, I'll give you a little info. It's a fraternity, and they raise money and do all kinds of other services for their Shriner's Hospitals for Children. There are 22 such hospitals in the US, Mexico and Canada. They deal with orthopedic care, burn treatment, cleft lip and palate care and spinal cord injury rehabilitation. It's a great organization to be a part of, and I'm proud of the work they do!!! And my husband is now a part of that! 


Now, if you have heard something about the Shriner's, you've probably heard about the funny hats they wear, or seen the funny cars they drive in parades... I have NO idea why they wear those hats, except that it's tradition. How it started, I have no clue. But, the funny cars they drive in parades are just that. FUNNY!  They have different units in the organization... different groups for different interests. For example, there's a clown unit. A group of Shriner's who dress up and act like clowns, and visit the local Children's Hospital to cheer up the sick kids. Or the Road Runners, who take local kids to the nearest Shriner's Hospital, 2 states away, at no cost to the family. There are several of these units, and each one does something different. It's just a great organization! :) 

I've got several reviews I'm supposed to be doing, and I'll get right on that this week. I hope to post several, as I'll be MIA again next weekend for the tournament. Hopefully I'll have some cool pics, though!
Here are the upcoming posts...

*SonicAlert Alarm Clock
*RealKidsShades 
*BlenderBottle
*CrazyDogTees
*Zoobies
*DiamonDozen


I've got to get busy on these! :)


0 comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment! I LOVE to hear from you guys!